Media servers are the packages on Linux that are used to stream media files over the entire network. The users connected to the media servers can access all the media files stored in the media server. In Linux, there are a variety of media servers that can be installed and used on Linux distributions.
In this blog, the top 10 best media servers for Linux are explained, which can be installed on any Linux distribution to enjoy music over the network.
Top 10 Best Media Servers Software for Linux
The top 10 best media servers software for Linux which can be used in 2023 are:
The explanation of the media servers above-mentioned is in the next sections.
Kodi Foundation has developed the open-source home theatre known as KODI. It is 100% free to use and brings the entertainment world to one’s place. It can be installed on windows, Linux distributions, and iOS. Kodi helps users to play music, videos, and games over the network.
The salient features of Kodi are:
- There are a lot of customization features.
- KODI provides the feature of Kodi Add-ons.
- It is free to use as well as open source.
Kodi can be installed on Linux using the command:
$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc/ppa $ sudo apt update $ sudo apt install kodi -y
Similar to the KODI, LibreELEC contains all the features and functionalities which can be enjoyed. There is some feedback from the users who are adopted LibreELEC, including fixing some issues faced by Kodi.
The notable features of LibreELEC are:
- It can be installed on Linux computers as well as Single board devices like Raspberry Pi.
- It supports the DRM.
- It allows users to pair with other media players like Plex.
LibreELEC can be installed on Linux by downloading its installer from the Official Website.
Gerbera is the media server that allows televisions, laptops, tablets, and mobiles to stream media. It is built upon media tomb 0.12.1.
The notable features of gerbera are:
- It is compatible with different operating systems, including iOS and android.
- It supports the transcoding converter, which converts media to the device’s compatible media.
- It can extract the metadata from the media files.
The Gerbera can be installed on your computer using the commands:
$ curl –fsSL https://gerbera.jfrog.io/artifactory/api/gpg/key/public | sudo apt-key add – $ sudo apt-add-repository https://gerbera.jfrog.io/artifactory/debian $ sudo apt update $ sudo apt install gerbera -y
Emby is the media server that can be used to stream media files. Different operating systems, including Windows and Linux distributions, can support it. This can be used free of cost, but to enjoy its features you have to purchase the subscription.
The notable features of the Emby are:
- It converts all the media files on the fly to stream them on devices.
- It can be used to stream Live TV.
- The music files can be easily accessed by the computer.
Emby can be installed on Linux by downloading its installer from its Official Website.
OSMC is the abbreviation of Open Source Media Center and is used as a media server to stream media files. It is based on the Kodi media server and is simple to use as well as robust software.
The notable features of the OSMC are:
- OSMC is simple to use.
- It is based on Debian, Linux, and Kodi Media center.
- It can play all the major formats of media files.
OSMC image file can be installed from its Official Website on a computer by making the USB bootable.
Plex is another popular media server that supports 250+ live channels. You can stream the media files, including movies and songs. It also rates them so that other users can decide to play such files based on the ratings.
The notable features of plex are:
- It supports live channels.
- On-demand movies and shows are played.
- You can pause the streaming and save the movies and shows.
Plex can be installed on Linux using the command:
$ sudo snap install plexmediaserver
Subsonic is used to stream and share movies and shows with other users. It is compatible with iOS, android, windows, macOS, and Linux distributions.
The major features of subsonic are:
- You can listen to music anywhere in the world.
- Allows you to provide feedback as comments and ratings.
- You can create your album and share it with your family.
Subsonic can be installed on Linux by downloading its Debian package from its Official Website.
Ampache is a media server that allows you to host your favorite audio and media files. It can be used on different operating systems, including android, iOS, etc.
The notable features of Ampache are:
- It is an open-source media server
- It allows users to host their favorite media files.
- It allows a free web interface audio file manager and media server.
It can be installed from its Official Website.
It is an open-source media server that enables you to stream media files. Different operating systems, including Linux distributions, support it.
The notable features of Jellyfin are:
- The control and management of the files are in your hand.
- You can use it as an alternative to plex.
- It supports media streaming using end-user devices.
It can be installed on a computer from its Official Website.
Madsonic is a web-based media server that is used to stream media files. It is developed in the java programming language and supported by different operating systems, including windows and Linux.
The notable features of the Madsonic media server are:
- It comes with a jukebox.
- It supports LDAP.
- Has a scalable web interface.
Visit the Official Website of Madsonic to download its package on Linux distributions.
The best media server software for Linux in 2023 are Kodi, LibreELec, Gerber, Emby, OSMC, Plex, Subsonic, Ampache, Jellyfin, and Madsonic. this blog explores the introduction, notable features, and approach to install them on Linux distributions.